Academic Advisor - Liberal Studies Integrated Teacher Education Program
Job no: 529894
Work type: Staff
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Probationary, Full Time, Education Support Professionals
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,610 - $4,950 per month
CSU Salary Schedule
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: July 25, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the direct supervision and day-to-day work direction of the Associate Dean for Advising, Career, and Student Success (CACSS), the Academic Advisor will use an assets-based approach to provide quality academic and developmental advisement and support to support Liberal Studies majors pursuing teaching pathways including the Integrated Teacher Education Pathway (ITEP). The Academic Advisor will provide guidance about coursework and program pathways required for admission to teaching credential or other post-baccalaureate programs, and for other graduate programs and careers aligned with undergraduate majors in the College of Education. The advisor will also support community college partnerships and seamless transitions for transfer students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs moderately complex professional student service work in academic advising and student success for an assigned caseload of CSUMB students in Liberal Studies, including the Integrated Teacher Education Program. Through individual and group advising, the advisor provides students with information and supports the creation of meaningful educational plans that align with students' personal and professional goals. Reviews confidential academic transcripts and evaluations; recommends appropriate coursework pursuant to the timely completion of undergraduate degrees and preparation for post-baccalaureate programs. Tracks the progress of Liberal Studies majors towards credential eligibility.
- Uses an assets-based approach to building on the talents and strengths of each student. Collaborates with other student support programs to support the success of specific populations of students, including students in academic difficulty. Refers students to appropriate resources on campus.
- Compiles and disseminates information to students and prospective students about academic degree programs and student services in the COE. Represents CACSS and/or COE at advisement-related activities, meetings, and events/workshops such as major fairs, Orientation, preview days, open house, Admitted Student Day, and transfer events at local community colleges.
- Prepares and delivers advising presentations and workshops to inform students about advising and career related services and programs, e.g. career exploration tools, advising processes and outcomes, campus services and resources. Collaborates with career advisors on the development of new career exploration resources.
- Establishes and maintains effective and positive professional relationships and communications to work collaboratively with COE program-related faculty and staff, other Colleges and units at CSUMB, and partner community colleges
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior; procedures and activities of the program to which assigned; general knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management. General knowledge of research and interview techniques; and of the principles of individual and group behavior.
Ability to interpret and apply program rules and regulations; use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements; obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews; reason logically; collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data; advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required; recognize multicultural, multi-sexed and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts; and, rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus to which assigned. Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas Services Office.
Experience: Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job- related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
Master's degree in a job-related field preferred. Prior academic advising or student services experience in a public 4-year university. Familiarity with Title V and CSU General Education requirements. Experience working with a diverse student population. Working knowledge of FERPA and other federal regulations related to the release of educational records to third parties, general university policies and procedures, and academic program requirements. Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft/CSU Common Management System information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite (particularly Excel), and Google Suite; Symplicity, Sales Force, or other products.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards).
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education's Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to the Clery Compliance Officer all reports of Clery Act crimes brought to their attention.
- May require evenings and/or occasional weekend work.
Works primarily in a climate-controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. May be required to work remotely. Mobility within an office environment. Requires occasional travel between campus offices. Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time, and regular interaction with students and other staff.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit Employee Benefits Summary. As a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/529894/academic-advisor-liberal-studies-integrated-teacher-education-program
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency